Official diplomatic relations between the Philippines and Brazil were deemed to have been established upon the recognition of Philippine Independence in July 1946.
During the inaugural ceremony on 04 July 1946, the Brazilian Government sent Hon. Carlos Silverio Martins Ramos, Special Representative of President Eurico Gaspar Dutra. This marked the official recognition of the Philippines as a sovereign state of Brazil.
The Philippine Embassy in Washington initially exercised jurisdiction over Brazil, which was later transferred to the Philippine Embassy in Argentina upon the opening of the Philippine representation in Buenos Aires.
On 16 September 1965, Ambassador Carlos S. Tan opened the first Philippine Embassy in Rio de Janeiro, the former capital of Brazil and where most embassies were located during that time. To encourage embassies to relocate from Rio de Janeiro to the new administrative capital of Brasilia, the Brazilian Government offered to donate land for free to diplomatic missions.
On 01 September 1973, the mission transferred to Brasilia on a piece of property located at the corner of the northern embassy sector (Setor Embaixada Norte) with a land area of 2.5 hectares.
The Head of Post of the Embassy since it opened in 1965 up to the present are:
- Ambassador Carlos S. Tan
- Ambassador Octavio L. Maloles
- CDA, a.i. Consuelo A. Arranz
- Ambassador Emilio Dimayuga Bejasa
- Ambassador Sergio A. Barrera
- 05 August 1980 - August 1986
- Ambassador Lauro L. Baja, Jr.
- 05 September 1986 – 27 August 1993
- Ambassador Jose Macário Laurel IV
- 09 September 1993 – 17 March 1996
- Ambassador Francisco L. Benedicto
- 31 July 1996 – 25 November 1998
- Ambassador Oscar G. Valenzuela
- 20 March 1999 – 21 March 2005
- Ambassador Teresita V.G. Barsana
- 08 October 2005 – 22 December 2009
- Ambassador Eva G. Betita
- 13 April 2010 – 04 October 2014
- CDA, a.i. Eric P. Valenzuela
- 04 October 2014 – 19 March 2015
- Ambassador Jose D. R. Burgos
- 20 March 2015 – 08 March 2017
- CDA, a.i. Ariz Severino V. Convalecer
- 09 March 2017 – Present
*Embassy records have no available data on the exact tenure or term of office for these Heads of Post.